A safe work environment starts with proper training.
Q: We are developing a safety training program. Can you provide some ideas on how to set it up?
A: Develop a curriculum based on a worker’s classification.
- The importance of safety training
- Workers can’t be safe if they don’t know how
- Let’s people know you care
- Builds internal relationships
- Set a curriculum
- The classes will vary based on the type of work you perform
- Each classification of worker faces different hazards
- Start with the basics for all and build upon that
- Everyone should have OSHA 10-Hour / Supervisors OSHA 40-Hour
- How to set up the training
- Start with your insurance company – you already pay for it – most insurance carriers have people dedicated to help their clients with safety
- There are many online courses that you can sign up for
- Talk to your vendors – many offer free training
- Keep track of everyone’s efforts – make it fun and share the results