How do I know is I am targeting the right clients for my business?
- Internal first
- To know who to target you must first know who you are
- Review and rate your company in key areas like paperwork, quality, timeliness, reliability, etc.
- Determine a profile for where you perform best
- Look at potential customers
- Repeat the process above for potential client types
- Leverage tradeshows, chambers of commerce, networks, marketing firms, etc. to better understand what makes your potential clients tick
- Start general and work towards the details
- The market
- Now that you have your profile and that of potential client types you can compare the two
- Take the top fits and then study the current market landscape – which ones need you most
- Start targeting and keep good records
- It’s Okay to target more than one area and also start in one are and work towards another
It takes some trial and error to get this down but the more you work at it the better you will get and the more you will dominate your market.
What projects / contracts / clients fit your culture?
What areas and levels fo service do we shine at? Quality? Safety? Paperwork? Schedule?
How are the markets in my region? Where is the a need? What is similar to my strength market?
Review you company culture and your strengths and weaknesses
Review you current clients / markets as well as potential ones
Track you success and review