The success of our projects determines the course of our business so stay on top of your projects.
- Project planning is valuable – add tracking and it’s priceless
- Just making a plan is valuable
- We put the effort in so take advantage of it and track it
- Know the pulse of all your projects
- Put some systems in place
- Create a start-up review process
- Have regularly scheduled reporting on all projects
- Track and report on key metrics
- Create a spreadsheet that summarizes all projects
- Managers need to review regularly
- Create routines to make it a habit
- Set aside time every week to review your projects
- Review overall summary of projects and choose one or two to drill down on
- Provide feedback to your project teams
Don’t let your project plans dust, execute on them.
- Project plans are living documents
- They should not be written and set aside
- They are not cast in stone
- Things change, so should your plans
- Project plans need to be updated regularly
- Get themost out of your plans with regular reviews
- Writing the plan in the first place is valuable – reviewing and updating increase the value 10X
- Project teams should review on a regular basis
- Schedule meetings just for the purpose of reviewing the project plans
- Take the review process to the next step and make appropriate updates
- Track and monitor your progress. Are you executing? Are you meeting your goals?
- Review your plan based on the current aspects of the project. What has changed?
- Make necessary adjustments
- It Plan, Do, Check, Act
- Communicate changes to the project stakeholders
A solid project planning process starts with the estimating team.
- Start developing project plans during the estimating process
- Estimating plans the entire project while developing the pricing
- They already determine key aspects like manpower, resources, productivity – start writing it down
- If they don’t develop a plan they can miss something
- Get operations involved as well
- When estimating a project get input from the operations side
- They should review the estimating project plan
- Any input helps build a better estimate
- Create the project plan in stages
- I realize that this requires some effort but it creates better estimates – bid less and bid better
- To conserve efforts, develop the plan in 2 stages
- First stage is a high-level overview creating during estimating
- Second stage is after you win the job – a more detailed plan
- The estimating team should start the formal project plan and turn over to operations
- Have a debriefing meeting to discuss the plan
Successful projects start with proper planning.
When it comes to project planning the most important thing is to develop a plan before starting.
Create a series of checklists to help manage the project start-up process.
These are great tools for helping us with proactive planning.
“Conduct a thorough estimate review during your project planning.”
Are you conducting an estimate review during the project planning process?