“Successful companies have distinct cultures. Do you know your real culture?”
In this episode we review the importance of understanding what your company’s real culture is.
A company’s culture is a key element in the future success or failure of that company. Many people make the mistake of thinking that their culture is clearly defined and never take the time to understand the true culture. We don’t want to make that mistake.
Understanding your culture from others’ points of view. Do you know what you employees think your culture is? When they reference the culture do they do it with air-quotes like “Oh yeah, quality is very important at XYZ.” while in their mind thinking “if the client is watching”.
We need to shape and guide our culture to that it stay aligned with our goals and mission. We want our company culture to be a catalyst for growth and profitability not an inhibitor.
- What is Culture
- We are not talking about the company picnics or casual Fridays
- Culture is the shared beliefs, values and practices of your employees
- If you value something you don’t need a procedure to remind you every day
- Culture must align with you company product, goals and mission
- Real Culture
- What happens when no one is looking – that’s the real culture
- The first reactions – that’s real culture
- Management styles – that’s real culture
- Understand Current Culture
- Survey employees, customers, suppliers, subcontractors, etc.
- Ask questions that are value exchanges – like transparency versus higher profits, quality versus deadlines
- Get a feel for what your true culture is
There isn’t a fancy scientific method to measure your company culture it’s more a feel thing. You need to get a feel for how your company performs and reacts and make sure it fits with your planned culture. Use this understanding to make changes and guide your culture.
Determine what your real company culture is