Don’t confuse a pesky client with good customer service.
Q: I have a good customer that I do work for but they are always asking me to do additional work for free. When should I push back?
A: From the beginning.
- We all get asked from time to time
- Can you do this for me? Can you add this for free?
- Can you get done early?
- It can be hard to say no to our customers – be Elite not a push over
- Be sure your lines are clear
- What are you willing to do for your good customers?
- How much, how far, how long?
- Know this upfront and it’s easy to say “our policy is”
- Establish boundaries the first chance you get
- Stand your ground when you are asked – don’t just give in
- Make it clear what you will and won’t do
- Follow your guidelines and policy
- If they don’t understand they may not be that great of a client after all