Take control of your suppliers with great communication and clear expectations.
Q: How can I get better control over my suppliers?
A: It starts with a good Purchase Order and excellent communication.
- Suppliers can make or break a project
- Late deliveries versus on-time
- Material problems like damaged product or wrong product
- Poor submittals
- Start by pre-qualifying your suppliers
- Just like any sub we should make sure our suppliers are up to the job
- Can they handle your needs
- Is this something they do regularly
- Write a good purchase order
- Always use a PO – your own not theirs
- Create a template
- Outline the requirements including expected durations
- Communication beats all
- Start communicating your requirements clearly during the buyout
- Keep them up to date with clear timelines
- Follow-up with them, never think that they have you covered, confirm it