Sourcing qualified subcontractors is one of the biggest challenges when entering new markets.
Q: Can you give me some ideas on ways to find qualified subcontractors when entering a new market area?
A: There isn’t an easy way. You just have to search for them.
- No easy way – just search for them
- Search directories like The Blue Book and Yellow Pages
- Post your opportunity on job boards and lead services like Bid Clerk
- The problem with these is there is no way of knowing if the contractor qualifies
- Soon we will have a solution to this problem with Builders Grid – a construction procurement solution that I have been working on and is doing a pilot launch in Michigan
- Extend your reach to find more options
- Call local rental companies or equipment companies
- Call local suppliers
- Talk with local business people
- Pre-qualify with a short questionnaire
- Create a 1 to 2-page qualification application to sort contractors out
- Include an outline of the requirements you are looking for
- Make sure potential subs complete this information before spending time with them
- If they are not willing to complete the app then do you think they will have time for you during the project?