Delays happen in construction, be proactive and manage the impact.
Q: What is the best way to deal with project delays?
A: Communicate, adjust and protect your profits.
- Communicate early and often
- Know your contract and your schedule
- As soon as it appears there may be a delay – notify your client with a “heads up”
- Document clearly cause, impact, options, adjustments and resolutions
- Manage your costs
- Adjust your schedule where you can
- Manipulate your manpower to deal with the delay without cost impacts
- Shift your plan around if you can
- Protect our bottom line
- Do all you can to avoid added costs caused by delays but if you can’t
- Document the impacts and communicate before there is an actual impact
- Present options and let the client participate in the decisions
- It’s our right to make a profit so don’t be afraid to ask for it