When it comes to project planning the most important thing is to develop a plan before starting.
“What should all should be included in my project plans? Most of my projects are light commercial remodels and new construction ranging from $500K to $4M.”
- Project Planning
- It’s a process and a product
- most important part is the process of planning
- Doesn’t need to be perfect to be effective
- Key aspects of any plan
- Starts during the pursuit stage and is updated in estimating then during the planning
- Includes input and discussion of the team members
- End result is useful – KISS
- What to include
- Develop the plan starting with the risk plan
- Project plan must include Summary and Risk Plan
- Summary sheet should give all the details in 1 page
- Risk Plan should be as discussed in other Coachcasts
- The remaining sections will be dictated by the Risk Plan and can include
- Safety / Owner Info / Project Description / Accounting / Budgets / Schedule / Equipment Plan / Logistics / Purchasing / Subcontracting / Personnel / Closeout / Quality / Reporting and so on.
- The report / product part can be a written document like a binder or presentation or another form that works for your project teams
The important part is the process of developing the plan.
What are the top project risks?
What do I need to watch for?
What is different with this project?
What is similar to other projects?
Start the project planning process
Adjust for each new project